Cristiano Bicudo - The Early Years



Chapter 1

His interest in the pipes started in 1982, when he was 14. This is more or less the age when teenagers decide to try some instrument to play in a rock band. However, after digging for some vinyl in a record shop in São Paulo, something else captured his attention: an LP published by the Capitol International Series with the generic title “Scottish Pipes!”, including tracks with solos by P/M Donald Shaw Ramsay.





Pipe Major Donald Shaw Ramsay

This is Cristiano Bicudo's story, as related by himself, so read on!

There were also tracks with pipe bands (City of Glasgow Police PB and 2nd Batt. Scots Guards) in that same record, but those were not very catchy as the quality of the open air recording was not really good. However, P/M Ramsay’s solos, and in particular his Sean Truibhais, left such an impression on me that I was soon pressing my parents for some support to learn the pipes. Both mum and dad were supportive (lucky me!), but I would soon discover that learning the pipes would not be an easy challenge in SP, first because of the total lack of local instructors and second because sets of pipes and related supplies were simply not available in Brazil.




The British Caledonia Airways Pipe Band

I believe just when my interest was starting to decline given these obstacles, something outstanding happened that same year: British Caledonian Airways PB visited SP and played out in the streets, actually just a few blocks from where I lived! Winning the lottery is easier than having a grade one band playing near you in South America. So, with this incredible stroke of luck, it was only natural that I would see B-Cal and my involvement in piping would start from there… except for the fact that none of that happened! I did not actually get to see them, because I was having exams at school at exactly the same time they were playing. That was heartbreaking for me, but in a way it hardened my determination to learn the pipes.


B-Cal Parading in Sao Paulo in 1982


My dad had made it clear to me that I had to find an instructor in Brazil. After some research, at some point in 1983 I did find one person willing to give me lessons, in fact a Brazilian bagpipe enthusiast, Michel Nahas. Without pipes or a practice chanter, I did not have more than a couple of lessons with him. He, however, told me to wait for the arrival in SP of his mentor, John Martin. John was a British Caledonian Airways piper that had come with B-Cal band a year before and who started visiting SP on a yearly basis to play for the St. Andrew Society of the State of São Paulo. John Martin had become a mentor not only for Michel, but also for a handful of Brazilian bagpipe enthusiasts in SP who gathered to see the B-Cal band in their 1982 SP visit (the one I missed!). Through John, who was delighted to meet a Brazilian enthusiast who was younger than the average (the others were in their 30s), I got my first set of pipes in 1984 (D. Naill) plus a RSPBA manual and a practice chanter. Not only that, he also invited myself and my brother Marcos to visit the UK the following year and stay for a month in his family home in Ashford, Kent. From there, he would take us to Scotland and he would show us all we wanted to know about piping and pipe bands. With my parents’ blessing and financial support, my brother (who started to get interested in playing the drums) and I, went to the UK in early 1985. The trip was more tourism than anything else, but was fantastic in times when there was no internet. Although it was winter in the UK (this was the time of the year we Brazilians had school holidays and were able to travel abroad), John made a tremendous effort to properly introduce us to the Scottish piping and drumming scene. He gave us good recordings of some top pipe bands, he supplied us with pipe band publications and books, he took us to B-Cal’s band practices in Gatwick airport, to regimental museums in Edinburgh, indoor competitions in Glasgow… and last but not least, he also took us to the College of Piping in Glasgow, which he recommended as the place for us (my brother and myself) to get started on the pipes and drums. All that was overwhelming for two boys from Brazil.



The College of Piping, Glasgow


Following John’s recommendation, my brother and myself returned to the UK in our next school holidays in early 1986 for two months of intensive lessons at the College of Piping in Glasgow. At the old College, we could finally get properly started and we thus became the first Brazilians to have formal piping and drumming instruction in Scotland (or in fact anywhere else). My instructor for the most part was Eddie MacLellan,


Cristiano and instructor Eddie MacLellan,
College of Piping, Glasgow, 1986


 I also had a few lessons straight from Seumas MacNeill and one lesson with Thomas Pearston. Eddie was a great instructor, very patient and supportive. Despite his age, his fingers moved beautifully on the chanter, and seeing that, made me understand that a lot of work was needed on the chanter before even touching the pipes. Seumas in his turn, usually wrapped up his lessons with attractive historical notes. My brother’s instructor was drumming legendary Alex Duthart. What a great time we had at the College! 



Seumas MacNeill


Alex Duthart

We had another similar round of intensive lessons in early 1987. Sadly, Alex Duthart had passed away, but Seumas then got Duthart’s band mate Robert (Bert) Barr for my brother’s drumming lessons. 1986 and 1987 were in this way decisive years for myself and my brother in terms of piping and drumming instruction. After that, a 5-year gap in our instruction would take place as we were entering the university and this required us to stay in Brazil, far from our Scottish musical masters.


Cristiano, 1986



Cristiano and Marcos Bicudo, 2017


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sham or Shame

... Longevity